Theme: Breaking the Chains of Pride
Message: “When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.” – Proverbs 11:2
The sin of pride is one that has plagued humanity since the beginning of time. It is a subtle and insidious sin that can take hold of our hearts and minds, leading us down a dangerous path of self-centeredness and arrogance. But the Bible offers us a better way. In Proverbs 11:2, we read, “When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.” This verse reminds us that pride leads to downfall, but humility leads to wisdom.
Humility is not weakness. It is a strength that comes from acknowledging our limitations and our need for God. Humility allows us to value and honour others, recognizing their worth and contributions. It helps us to be open to feedback and correction and to admit when we are wrong. Humility allows us to submit our plans and desires to God’s will and purposes, trusting that He knows what is best for us.
But pride is the opposite of humility. It causes us to seek attention and recognition for ourselves, to value our own opinions above others, and to resist feedback and correction. Pride leads us to believe that we are self-sufficient and can handle everything on our own. But the truth is that pride blinds us to our own weaknesses and limitations, making us vulnerable to mistakes and failures.
Breaking the chains of pride requires us to turn our hearts and minds toward God. It requires us to humble ourselves before Him, acknowledging our need for His grace and wisdom. It means valuing and honouring others and serving them with love and compassion. It means seeking feedback and correction with humility and grace, and being willing to admit when we are wrong.
May we be empowered by God’s grace to overcome the chains of pride and live a life of humility and wisdom in Him. May we find freedom in humility, and may our lives be a testament to the goodness and grace of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
- Ask God to reveal any areas of pride in your heart and help you cultivate humility.
- Pray for the strength to resist the temptation to seek attention or recognition for yourself.
- Ask God to help you value and honour others, recognizing their worth and contributions.
- Pray for the wisdom to seek and receive feedback and correction with humility and grace.
- Ask God to help you submit your plans and desires to His will and purposes.
- Pray for the courage to admit when you are wrong and make amends.
- Ask God to help you serve others with humility and compassion.
- Pray for those who struggle with pride, that they may find the freedom and wisdom that comes with humility.
- Ask God to help you focus on His character and goodness, and help you find joy in serving Him.
- Pray for God to break the chains of pride in your life and help you live a life of humility and wisdom in Him.
Heavenly Father, we come before you in humility and gratitude, acknowledging that without you, we are nothing. We thank you for your steadfast love and faithfulness, and for the grace and mercy that you show us every day.
As we continue our journey of breaking the chains of pride, we ask for your help and guidance. Help us to see ourselves as you see us, recognise our strengths and weaknesses, and acknowledge that everything we have comes from you.
We ask for the strength to resist the temptation to seek attention or recognition for ourselves, and to value and honour others, recognizing their worth and contributions. We pray for the wisdom to seek and receive feedback and correction with humility and grace, and to submit our plans and desires to your will and purposes.
Lord, we ask that you help us serve others with humility and compassion, and to always be mindful of your character and goodness. We pray for those who struggle with pride, that they may find the freedom and wisdom that comes with humility.
Finally, we ask that you break the chains of pride in our lives and help us live a life of humility and wisdom in you. May we experience the joy of serving others with love and compassion, and may our lives bring glory to your name.
We pray all these things in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour.
Revd. Sam Adeyemi